The following are common terms we use when describing email and how it moves between systems.
- MTA – Mail Transfer Agent – the program that passes email between systems before it is
- MUA – Mail User Agent, more commonly known as your Email Client (OE, Thunderbird, etc).
- SMTP – The Simple Mail Transfer Protocol is how systems pass email between each other before it reaches the receiving user’s system
- SMTP Envelope – The active parts of an SMTP conversation
- Mail Headers – The
- Mail Body – The actual content of the message